Business Maintenance
Frequently Asked Questions

Forming your Wyoming LLC or corporation with the state is just the beginning of your business journey. To properly operate and maintain your business, you’ll need to draft your operating agreement or corporate bylaws, set up a business bank account, file your annual report—the list goes on.

On this page, we answer the most frequently asked questions on what you need to do for your business immediately post-filing and each year after that—along with what to do when you expand your business into new jurisdictions or decide to dissolve or reinstate your business.

Setting Your Business up for Success

  • Operating agreement and corporate bylaws
  • Employer Identification Number (EIN)
  • Beneficial Ownership Information report
  • Business bank account
  • Business phone
  • Mail forwarding
  • Virtual office
  • Business website
  • Business license

Remaining in Compliance

  • Annual report
  • Taxes

Expanding your Business Reach

  • Certificate of Good Standing
  • Certificate of Authority
  • Apostille

Closing (and Re-Opening) Shop

  • Dissolution
  • Reinstatement


Setting Your Business Up for Success

A lot goes into launching a business. If you’re about to file with the state or already have, you may be wondering what else you need to do to get business-ready. We’ve got a few answers.

Does my LLC need an operating agreement?

An LLC operating agreement is an internal document that establishes the rules and structure of your LLC along with the rights and responsibilities of your LLC members. Having an operating agreement is not legally required in Wyoming. However, you may be required to provide a copy of your operating agreement when opening a business bank account or leasing property.

Additionally, having an operating agreement helps prevent trouble down the line. For example, say you have a disagreement with a follow LLC member who claims to have more ownership interest in the company than they actually do and sues you for “their money.” If you have an operating agreement that lays out ownership interest, you can use that document to dispute their claim in court. 

Does my corporation need corporate bylaws?

Much like an LLC operating agreement, corporate bylaws act as the blueprint for running your company, dictating rules and regulations of your company. Corporate bylaw also dictate the duties and rights of officers and stakeholders. Bylaws help ensure that your business runs smoothly and you can resolve conflicts more easily. Having corporate bylaws is legally required in Wyoming.

How do I write an operating agreement or corporate bylaws?

LLC operating agreements and corporate bylaws are legal documents, so it’s a good idea to have them written by a lawyer. However, that can be expensive, and you may find yourself shelling out several hundred dollars. Your other option is to use a template (either free or purchased) but you’ll need to make sure that you get your template from a reputable source.

Can I get an operating agreement or corporate bylaws from you?

Yes, and, unlike some national business formation companies, we don’t make you pay for these documents. We offer free, attorney-drafted structure-specific LLC operating agreements and corporate bylaws with our LLC and corporation formation packages. Your documents will be available to download and adapt to your company’s needs immediately.

Do I need an Employer Identification Number (EIN)?

An EIN is the number you use to file your federal taxes with the IRS. You’ll also have to provide your EIN when opening your business bank account and filing your BOI report. Single-member LLCs may not need to get an EIN (it’s possible to use your social security number), but multi-member LLCs, corporations, and all businesses with employees are required to have one.

How do I get an EIN? Can you get one for me?

You’ll need to apply for an EIN through the IRS. We can apply for an EIN on your behalf when you order one of our company formation packages or from inside your online account after ordering our registered agent service. Our EIN service is $50 for a US citizen with a social security number and $150 for a non-US citizen.

Am I required to file a Beneficial Ownership Information (BOI) report?

It’s extremely likely that you’ll be required to file a federal BOI report with the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN), especially if you run a small business. While some companies are exempt, your business must be in an industry that is already highly regulated, such as banking or insurance, or be a large operating company with over 20 full-time employees and gross sales of over $5 million in the past year to qualify for exemption.

When is the BOI report due?

If your business is formed in 2024, your BOI report must be filed within 90 days of company formation. In 2025 and beyon, the deadline is within 30 days of company formation.

How do I file my BOI report? Can you file for me?

BOI reports are filed online through the FinCEN database. We can file on your behalf for only $25.

How do I get a business bank account?

To open a business bank account, you’ll need to make an appointment with the bank of your choice. At your appointment, you’ll need to provide information about your business and the person opening the account, including your EIN, a copy of your formation paperwork, and personal ID.

Can you open an account for me?

Even if we serve as your organizer or incorporator for privacy, we cannot open an account for you. However, you can authorize another individual to open an account on your behalf in your operating agreement or corporate bylaws.

How do I get a phone number for my business?

Even if you’re running your business by yourself, it’s important to get a business phone line so that you can separate your business and personal communications. The easiest and cheapest option is to get virtual phone service, which gives you a phone line and voicemail box that you can access using an app or your computer. That way, you can avoid having to buy a whole new phone or pay a network for cell service.

Do you offer virtual phone service?

Yes. With our virtual phone service, you get a private VoIP number with a Wyoming area code for just $9/month—and the first 90 days are free. You can call, text, and access your voicemail using our mobile phone app or your computer. And, your company name will show up on caller ID displays when you make outbound calls. Order separately checkout with our registered agent or company formation service or bundled with Buffalo Virtual Office or our Business Presence Package.

Do I need mail forwarding?

Mail forwarding is an exceptional way to help safeguard your privacy, especially if you work from a home office or don’t want sensitive documents sent directly to your business location.

Do you provide mail forwarding service?

We do. On top of the use of our business address, you get a suite number and additional digital mail scans (you get 3 free with registered agent or company formation service). You can get an additional 10 scans for $49/year, an additional 25 scans for $99/year, and unlimited scans with our $19/month Buffalo Virtual Office service.

Do I need a virtual office?

If you work from home—or maybe from a coffeeshop or library—having virtual office service will help protect your privacy and make you appear more professional.

Do you provide virtual office service?

We provide virtual office service that includes a Wyoming business address with an individual suite number, unlimited mail forwarding, virtual phone service, and the ability to lease office space in our building should you need it. Get Buffalo Virtual Office for just $19/month.

Do I need a website and email for my business?

These days, a company website is a must—getting your business online is often the beginning of your business journey after filing with the state. Having a website and a business email makes it easier to market your company and for clients and customers to contact you. It also enhances your credibility and increases your reach.

Do you offer web services?

Yes, we do. With our Business Presence Package, you get a custom domain name, a pre-built website with SSL security, and up to 10 email addresses at your domain (plus virtual phone service). You can get everything you need to launch your business set up in minutes. Order at checkout. You get domain name service free for a year and all other services free for 90 days. After that, individual services are $9/month (domain service varies). Services can be ordered separately or bundled, and you can cancel at any time.

Do I need a business license?

Wyoming doesn’t have a general business license that all companies are required to obtain. However, the majority of businesses will need a Sales/Use Tax License to collect and pay state and local sales tax. Depending on the type of work you do, you may also need an industry or professional license. For example, you’ll probably need a liquor license if you own a restaurant, and you must have a medical license if you’re a practicing medical doctor.

How do I get a business license?

To get a Sales/Use Tax license, you must submit a Sales/Use License Application to the Wyoming Department of Revenue. For other types of licenses, you’ll need to contact the government agency or board in charge of regulating your industry:

Can you get a license for me?

Unfortunately, we cannot apply for business licenses on your behalf.



Remaining in Compliance

Answers to common questions about maintaining your business from year to year.

Do I need to file an Annual Report?

All Wyoming LLCs, corporations, and other business entities registered with the state are required to file a Wyoming Annual Report with the Secretary of State. The report costs $62 to file, including processing fees, plus an additional $.0002 per dollar of total business assets over $300,000.

When is the Annual Report due?

Your Annual Report is due on the first day of the anniversary month of your company formation. So, if you registered an LLC on August 18, 2024, your due date is August 1 every year after that. If you fail to file within 60 days, the Secretary of State’s office will administratively dissolve your company.

How do I file? Can you file on my behalf?

You can file through the Secretary of State’s Online Business Services Center. To skip the hassle and ensure that you never miss your due date, you can order our Annual Compliance Nominee Service for $100/year, and we’ll file for you.

Do I need to pay taxes in Wyoming?

Wyoming is famous for its tax-friendly environment, which boasts no personal income or corporate taxes. However, one Wyoming tax you will have to pay is Sales/Use tax. You can look up Sale/Use tax rates by jurisdiction online through the Department of Revenue. Depending on your industry and assets, you may also need to pay additional Wyoming taxes.

How do I pay Sales/Use tax?

Sales/Use Tax is paid to the Department of Revenue. You can file online using Wyoming Excise Tax E-Services.


Expanding your Business Reach

Questions and answers on how to start conducting business across state and international lines.

What do I need to do business in another state?

Do business in another state, you’ll need to apply for a Certificate of Authority (or equivalent document), which gives you the legal authority to operate in that state. While exact application process varies from state to state, you’ll typically need to provide a copy of your company’s Certificate of Good Standing from the state of Wyoming.

What is a Certificate of Good Standing and how do I get one?

A Certificate of Good Standing verifies that your business is up to date on state filings and has paid all the required fees. You can order a Certificate online through the Secretary of State.

How do I get a Certificate of Authority in another state?

To get a Certificate of Authority in another state, you must apply through that state’s Secretary of State’s office (or equivalent government agency) and pay the free associated with the application.

Can you file for a Certificate of Good Standing or Authority for me?

Yes, our expert filers can file for a Certificate of Good Standing and/or a Certificate of Authority on your behalf. These filing services are available inside your account.

What do I need to do business in another country?

Rules and requirements for doing business internationally vary by country, but it’s very likely that you’ll need to (a) provide copies of important business documents as part of the process and (b) have these copies authenticated before you submit them. This authentication is called an Apostille.

How do I get an Apostille? Can you get one for me?

You can get Apostilles through the Secretary of State’s office. The fee is $20 per Apostille, which must be paid in cash, with a money order, or by check. Mailed submissions can take up to 15 business days to process.

If you don’t have the time to visit the SOS in person or the inclination to do more paperwork, we offer Apostille service with overnight shipping once the filing is completed for $400.


Closing (and Re-Opening) Shop

How to dissolve or reinstate your business.

How do I dissolve my business?

To dissolve your business in the eyes of the state, you’ll need to submit dissolution paperwork. For example, as an LLC, you’d file Limited Liability Company Articles of Dissolution. The filing fee for dissolution for all for-profit entity types is $60 and $25 for nonprofits.

Can you file my dissolution paperwork?

Yes, we can file dissolution paperwork for you. Order this service in your account or contact one of our agents.

What happens if the state administratively dissolves my company?

Your company may face administrative dissolution if you do not file your annual report, pay the annual fee, or maintain a Wyoming registered agent. If your company is administratively dissolved, you will not be able to legally operate as a business in Wyoming. However, the good news is that you have two years to reinstate your business.

How do I reinstate my business?

To reinstate your business, you’ll need to file all of your delinquent annual reports and pay your back fees and/or appoint a new registered agent. You’ll also need to fill out an application for Certificate of Reinstatement. There’s a $100 reinstatement fee and an additional $350 fine if your company was dissolved due to failure to maintain a registered agent.

The entire process must be completed online through the Secretary of State’s reinstatement page. You’ll need your Business Filing ID Number to get started.

Can you file my reinstatement paperwork?

Yes, we can file for you. The exact cost will depend on which state fees you need to pay in order to get your company reinstated. Order through your account or contact one of our expert filers.